As an art logistics company we have a number of experts as part of our team, and we have decided to run a Mtec Experts slot on our blog. We’ll tap into our different specialist areas and impart some top tips based on our services and experience.
This month Head of our Shipping Department, Edward Naish looks at things to consider when selecting storage for your collection:
- Do the facilities fulfil any required insurance criteria? Our facilities are GRASP accredited for fine art storage conditions including climate control. We have over 75,000 sq.ft of storage, all of which is Customs Bonded and our security systems are NACOSS approved and we are covered by an ADT MXC Fire Detection system. Moreover, should you have any particular concerns or questions you are welcome to make an appointment to visit the facilities at any time.
- Do you require regular access to artworks for viewing or photography? Our Enfield warehouse has a state of the art viewing rooms and photography space alongside our fine art storage, reducing the need for double handling and additional transport costs plus third-party costs associated with renting a space. We also have dedicated working space at all of our locations for condition reporting and examining artwork.
- Does the facility enable you to have access to your collections information 24/7? It is useful to have an account that you can monitor online so you can update inventory and colleagues with correct information. An important part of remotely managing your stored collection is to schedule regular stock control and annual condition reporting. It also allows you to have access to any important documentation you may need to send on.
- Is there a possibility that works may require repacking in the future? An on-site, progressive packing workshop or facility not only reduces double handling but also guarantees that any decisions regarding packing can be made using the advice of an expert and with the long term transportation and storage of the work(s) in mind.
- Do you foresee any special circumstances regarding your collection or specific artworks? If you have works within your inventory which require regular maintenance, have specialist shipping considerations or require bespoke project management and installation, are plans, resources and staff in place to manage and monitor this? At Mtec’s facilities we have a number of specialist departments with staff from various backgrounds, who will build a knowledge of your collection so that your mind can be rest reducing the need for third party suppliers.
If you’d like to discuss your individual needs or specifications regarding shipping and storage, then please do not hesitate to email firstname.lastname@example.org and we will arrange for one of our team to get in touch.